Amanda-Users

Re: cant switch to incremental dump

2002-12-20 15:20:00
Subject: Re: cant switch to incremental dump
From: Jason Brooks <jason0 AT mail.wrs DOT com>
To: ahall AT secureworks DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:44:30 -0800
Hello,

Am I reading you correctly that you haven't gotten a full dump yet and
amanda is displaying 'can't switch to incremental dump'?

If this is the case, read on...

Do you have the parameter "reserve" set in your amanda.conf file?  if
not, it defaults to 100%.  this means that the holding disk is 100%
reserved for incremental backups.  you get the aforementioned message
because amanda hasn't performed a full backup yet, therefore there isn't
a such thing as an incremental.

I have my reserve value set to "30".  My thinking (possibly flawed) is
if I leave enough non-reserved holding space to accomidate a number of
full backups, I will be ok.  At a minimum, I must ensure that 70% of my
holding space can hold the largest level 0 backup I have to do.

--

Jason Brooks ~ (503) 641-3440 x1861