ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] ? linux TSM 6.2 using 10GE iSCSI ... to backup HPC ?

2010-05-05 07:37:10
Subject: [ADSM-L] ? linux TSM 6.2 using 10GE iSCSI ... to backup HPC ?
From: James R Owen <Jim.Owen AT YALE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 07:36:36 -0400
?Are you:  doing TSM backups to iSCSI disk/tape?  w/10GE?  w/TSM6.?

Scanning ADSM-L archives, actual TSM experience w/iSCSI seems scarce!
Recently, Gary Bowers recommends "DirectIO No" in dsmserv.opt w/ iSCSI,
and in 2007 Ben Bullock had iSCSI poor performance (w/o that setting?)
Most other iSCSI threads are questions answered by theory/opinion.

We hope to backup HPC (primarily Gene Sequencing Experiments) w/TSM 6.2.
HPC infrastructure:
        RHEL linux clusters using Panasus PanFS iSCSI disk array
        via 10Gb ethernet

To best integrate TSM into their infrastructure, the HPC group wants to
backup  to iSCSI disk/tape storage via 10GE w/ TSM v6.2 running on RHEL.

Our current TSM experience is w/ AIX6.1, TSMv5.5.4.2, FC disk/tape,
so we're really trying to "shoot the moon" w/ this new HPC TSM config.

!But, hey!  It's all going to be new, so why not ...totally different?

Please advise, if you have relevant experience/facts,
(or theories/opinions, as you believe appropriate;-)

FYI, here's how we hope this can work:
Because TSM does not support Panasus PanFS, we will use tar to copy
completed GeneSeqExprmnts onto (iSCSI) EXT3 FS space @ RHEL linux
hosting both TSM 6.2 server and client.  TSM client will backup
GSE tarballs from EXT3 FS w/ dsmc incremental via ShrMem to TSM 6.2
server, directly onto (iSCSI) LTO5 tape w/compression.  Other PanFS
volumes will backup via dsmc incremental from NFS mounts @ TSM client
via ShrMem to (iSCSI) sequential file STGpool space w/ dedup enabled.
(We also hope to use TSM client dedup effectively!-)

Thanks for any advice!
--
Jim.Owen AT Yale DOT Edu   (w#203.432.6693, c#203.494.9201, h#203.387.3030)