ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ? linux TSM 6.2 using 10GE iSCSI ... to backup HPC ?

2010-05-05 14:17:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ? linux TSM 6.2 using 10GE iSCSI ... to backup HPC ?
From: Robert Clark <robert.clark7 AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:16:15 -0700
I have three pieces of 10GBE related feedback, which may be a bit
tangential or redundant.

1) Don't assume that the average OS network stacks are going to make
efficient use of or good throughput on 10GBE. Insofar as filers also run
an OS, its not a given that they will perform at peak form either. (This
may have changed since I worked with 10GBE three years ago, but I would
document your assumptions, and document nominal throughput wherever you
can just for the insight you'll gain.)

2) Don't assume that any two different models/brands of 10GBE NICs
supplied by the same platform vendor for use with the same OS are going to
perform alike. Also, don't assume that GA firmware isn't crap because its
the only version available.

3) Look for an ugly knee in the throughput curve as you approach full
scaleout of the 10GBE switches. I've seen at least one workgroup network
switch that ran short on an internal resource as more than three quarters
of the network ports were in use. Likely a thing of the past as well.

[RC]