ADSM-L

Re: AW: Incremental Forever

2000-05-05 10:14:36
Subject: Re: AW: Incremental Forever
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT NERSP.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 10:14:36 -0400
=> On Thu, 4 May 2000 08:56:41 -0500, Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO
DOT EDU> said:

> Allen, I heartily agree with this, and so did my management, until the day
> the CIO restored EUDORA on his desktop, the day after we had switched from
> 3590Bs to 3590Es.  Four hours and five mounts later, it was recommended that
> I rethink the scheme.  I'm still thinking.

(shudder)

I have one piece of advice, a quote from a classic:

"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".

Put your execs in a colocated pool, and don't worry about the extra tapes you
use, storing a 4G footprint on a 40G tape.

Though I might add a warning and a suggestion.  Regardless of the duration, a
"jump with both feet" transition will have some uncertainty.  I heard
suggested here the upgrade method:

Define some of your tapes  to be -E
Make new storage pools for the -E drives.
Set your new backups to hit the -E pools.
Gradually MOVE DATA from the -B pools to the -E pools.
When done, upgrade the rest of the -Bs to -E.

This has the advantage of never forcing a tape to need odd processing "fast".

Allen S. Rout
NERDC *SM admin.