ADSM-L

Re: AW: Incremental Forever

2000-05-04 11:17:09
Subject: Re: AW: Incremental Forever
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 11:17:09 -0400
>As the CE explained it, he understood that every 3590B, readonly to ADSM,
>required at least two and maybe three passes the first time it was mounted
>on a 3590E, once to find the end of the cartridge and once to verify or
>rebuild the VCR.  He wasn't sure if the restore was done on this second
>pass or on a third.

Interesting.  If someone has a doc reference on this behavior, please post it,
as it would be valuable to review.  I presume that the ASSISTVCRRECovery
server option was Yes, but didn't help

If this is the case, then IBM might recommend (or even provide) using a simple
batch method outside of *SM to mount each old 3590 tape so as to get the VCR
resets over with in one operation such that subsequent *SM usage would not
incur a performance penalty.

    Richard Sims, BU