ADSM-L

Re: AW: Incremental Forever

2000-05-04 09:56:41
Subject: Re: AW: Incremental Forever
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 08:56:41 -0500
At 11:45 PM 5/3/2000 -0400, you wrote:
=> On Wed, 3 May 2000 12:26:59 -0400, Lindsay Morris <lmorris AT OPENMIC DOT

said:

> And another thing  :-}   ----

> In the event of a site disaster, won't there be lots of tape contention?
> [...]  (Unless you collocate your copy pool - not recommended.)

Why is colocation not reccommended?  Certainly there are situations for which
it's a pain, and pointless.   But in general?

> Backup sets solves this one too.  But you'd have to make backup sets of
> EVERYTHING on a regular basis.... Ouch!

Think about this: maintaining colocation is functionally nearly equivalent to
making backup sets of everything, all the time, except that you remove the
intermediate step of mixing all the data together in the fist place.

As always, plan this out:  How long can you afford to take to recover?

At UF, Our campus authentication servers are worth the effort to colocate,
ditto campus mail servers, web hosts, etc.

Workstations of Data Center staff aren't worth it.

- Allen S. Rout
- NERDC TSM Admin

Allen, I heartily agree with this, and so did my management, until the day
the CIO restored EUDORA on his desktop, the day after we had switched from
3590Bs to 3590Es.  Four hours and five mounts later, it was recommended
that I rethink the scheme.  I'm still thinking.

Fred Johanson
System Administrator, ADSM
S.E.A.
University of Chicago