ADSM-L

Re: AW: Incremental Forever

2000-05-03 13:48:40
Subject: Re: AW: Incremental Forever
From: "France, Don (Pace)" <don.france-eds AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 12:48:40 -0500
sal's argument makes a good case for the new "backup sets", aka, instant
archive feature in TSM-3.7 --- periodically collecting the active file data
into a single stream of tape would restore faster than having the server
parsing thru its data base and tape pool to recover the widely dispersed
active file data.  Also, Richard Sims makes a more provocative case re. file
system failures;  if you're really concerned about restore times for a file
system or data base, you're gonna mirror them (as the first line of
defense).

In the event of a site-disaster, the recovery time from DRM tapes (which
would be somewhat fragmented with a mix of active & inactive data) would
clearly be longer than restore from a "backup set" (or the "full" backup
referenced in sal's lengthy note)... the main point, I believe, is "can we
get our business data back in a timely fashion?" --- with TSM and 3590 or
similar tape technology, of course.

Don France

Technical Architect, P.A.C.E.
San Jose, CA