ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and encryption

1996-12-09 10:06:46
Subject: Re: ADSM and encryption
From: Peter Hough <hough AT DIAL.PIPEX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 15:06:46 +0000

> On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:39:35 +1100, Trevor Foley wrote:
>
> >We have a need for encrypt data on some of our systems before it leaves
> >the system. Currently the requirement is limited to WindowsNT.
> >Ideally we would like to see this as part of the ADSM product (and I
> >understand that it is on the list of features being considered),
> >possibly in a similar way to compression.

We have exactly the same requirement and unfortunately no one has yet
come up with a solution.
Therefore we have decided that we have no option but to write our own
client using the API. We are still at the specification stage so if
anyone can think of a better way, a prize awaits!

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Get a program to do the encryption (there are some freeware programs
> for this such as PGP and I have also seen some free DES encryption
> programs) and then check the pre/post operation options. I don't know
> if NT has it but I would be surprised if it didn't. In netware and
> other platforms you can tell ADSM to run some program before and
> after your backup. You could encrypt the data to another directory
> (if you have enough space), back it up and the delete the copy as
> part of the post operation procedure.
>
> Chech your options doc for the platform where the client is running
> (NT right?) and look for:
>  POSTSCHEDULECMD
>  PRESCHEDULECMD
>
> You could use preschedule to encrypt the data to another directory
> and postschedule to delete that copy.

Thanks for the suggestion. This would clearly work for specific
backups/archives.
However, there is still the issue of how to handle incremental backups,
where we need access AFTER a file has been identified for backing up.
The choices still seem to be to ZAP the code or write our own
application using the API.  Clearly altering code is seriously frowned
on - has anyone done it though?

Peter Hough

Peter Hough
DataSave Services