ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and encryption

1996-12-05 21:49:29
Subject: Re: ADSM and encryption
From: Francisco Reyes <reyes01 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:49:29 -0400
On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:39:35 +1100, Trevor Foley wrote:

>We have a need for encrypt data on some of our systems before it leaves
>the system. Currently the requirement is limited to WindowsNT.
>Ideally we would like to see this as part of the ADSM product (and I
>understand that it is on the list of features being considered),
>possibly in a similar way to compression.
>
>Given that our need is short term, does anyone have any suggestions as
>to how this could be achieved?
>regards,

Get a program to do the encryption (there are some freeware programs
for this such as PGP and I have also seen some free DES encryption
programs) and then check the pre/post operation options. I don't know
if NT has it but I would be surprised if it didn't. In netware and
other platforms you can tell ADSM to run some program before and
after your backup. You could encrypt the data to another directory
(if you have enough space), back it up and the delete the copy as
part of the post operation procedure.

I don't recall the exact names, but I think they both started with
"pre" and "post".

>We have a need for encrypt data on some of our systems before it leaves
>the system. Currently the requirement is limited to WindowsNT.

Out of curiosity why do you need this? Is the data been sent offsite
for storage?