ADSM-L

Re: multi-user unix systems

1996-07-10 02:53:58
Subject: Re: multi-user unix systems
From: Dirk Kastens <dkastens AT RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 08:53:58 +0200
On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Wendy Alberg wrote:

> This is exactly how ADSM works. I haven't found a reference that
> says explicitly that this is how it works, but check out p. 244-248
> in the ADSM R2 UNIX User's Guide and Reference where it talks
> about authorizing other users to restore or retrieve your files
> and restoring or retrieving other users' files. It implies there
> that users can only get to files they own unless other users
> explicitly give them access to the other users' files. And I
> know it works this way on our unix systems: by default you can
> only access your own files.

Then I made a mistake. We have tested this several times.
Using the dsm GUI, user_b was able to restore files from
/home/user_a into his own home directory without being
explicitly authorized. We are running scheduled incremental
backups of the user's home directories every night.
So, what are we doing wrong?

Dirk Kastens _______________Dirk.Kastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE
Universitaet Osnabrueck     Phone: +49/541/969-2347 (work)
Rechenzentrum               Fax:   +49/541/969-2470 (work)
Albrechtstr. 28             Phone: +49/541/258182   (private)
49069 Osnabrueck
Germany