ADSM-L

Re: multi-user unix systems

1996-07-10 06:02:48
Subject: Re: multi-user unix systems
From: Bernd Dammann <bernd AT FKI.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:02:48 +0000
On Jul 10,  8:53am, Dirk Kastens wrote:
> Subject: Re: multi-user unix systems
> On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Wendy Alberg wrote:
>
> > This is exactly how ADSM works. I haven't found a reference that
> > says explicitly that this is how it works, but check out p. 244-248
> > in the ADSM R2 UNIX User's Guide and Reference where it talks
> > about authorizing other users to restore or retrieve your files
> > and restoring or retrieving other users' files. It implies there
> > that users can only get to files they own unless other users
> > explicitly give them access to the other users' files. And I
> > know it works this way on our unix systems: by default you can
> > only access your own files.
>
> Then I made a mistake. We have tested this several times.
> Using the dsm GUI, user_b was able to restore files from
> /home/user_a into his own home directory without being
> explicitly authorized. We are running scheduled incremental
> backups of the user's home directories every night.
> So, what are we doing wrong?

Just to add to Dirk's experience:  We have the same problem!
Every user can restore any file from the backup, if she/he knows the
node password.  The description Wendy refers to works perfectly for
different nodes, e.g. two PCs, but we didn't find a way to make things
work on a multi-user system.  I would also like to hear about a
solution to this problem, if there is one.  That could reduce my work
load a lot, if users were able to restore their files themselves.

Regards, Bernd

--
# Bernd Dammann          <bernd AT fki.dtu DOT dk> | "Why stop now,
# Bernd Dammann          <bernd AT fki.dtu DOT dk> | "Why stop now,