ADSM-L

ADSM req

1996-07-10 04:24:52
Subject: ADSM req
From: LARS DANIELSSON 0 31-667479 <vd.ld AT MEMO.VOLVO DOT SE>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:24:52 +0200
--- Received from VD.LD  +46-(0)31-667479           96-07-10 10:24
  -> IN=adsm-l(a)vm.marist.edu
  -> IN=adsm-l(a)vm.marist.edu

From Lars Danielsson, Volvo Data, Sweden.

REQUIREMENT: This is a requirement to record migrated/recalled
data due to Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) into specific
fields in the ADSM MVS Server SMF record 42/14.

REASON: When we try to account for HSM migration/recall, with
communication overhead excepted, we find there is no field from
where we can retrieve this specific information.

BACKGROUND: My installation accounts the customers for the sum of
stored data (from "q occ") and transferred files (from SMF) due to
backup/restore and archive/retrieve. The total amount of
communicated data (which sometimes is much bigger than the sum of
backup, restore, archive and retrieve) is only used by us to
monitor where is need for tuning ADSM and communication to work
better. The overhead does not affect the customers.

Now when we try to account for migrated/recalled data, we have
found that files communicated between the ADSM Client and the ADSM
Server due to HSM migration/recall is not stored into specific
fields in the SMF record type 42 subtype 14. The amount of
communicated data due to HSM migration/recall is only stored in
the SMF record field which starts in offset 120/x'78' ("Amount of
data in kilobytes, communicated between a client node and the
server during this session").

    /Lars
                Lars Danielsson      Tel.... +46 31 667479
                Volvo Data AB        Fax.... +46 31 662500
                S-40508 Gothenburg   E-mail. vd.ld AT memo.volvo DOT se
                Sweden               IBMmail SEGN37V3