ADSM-L

Re: multi-user unix systems

1996-07-09 16:32:18
Subject: Re: multi-user unix systems
From: Wendy Alberg <WAXY AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 16:32:18 EDT
Dirk Kastens <dkastens AT RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE> asks:
>if there are several users on a Unix workstation running the
>ADSM-client: how can I prevent other users from restoring my
>backup files to their home directories?
>Each user on the client node should only be allowed to back up
>or archive (restore or retrieve) his/her OWN files.
>Is this possible using ADSM?

This is exactly how ADSM works. I haven't found a reference that
says explicitly that this is how it works, but check out p. 244-248
in the ADSM R2 UNIX User's Guide and Reference where it talks
about authorizing other users to restore or retrieve your files
and restoring or retrieving other users' files. It implies there
that users can only get to files they own unless other users
explicitly give them access to the other users' files. And I
know it works this way on our unix systems: by default you can
only access your own files.

Wendy Alberg                      Phone:  607/255-2672
Network & Computer Systems        Fax:    607/255-6523
Cornell Information Technologies  E-mail: wa10 AT cornell DOT edu
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY    WWW:    http://dwrgi.cit.cornell.edu/