nv-l

Re: [nv-l] General Question--Map Correctness

2002-04-25 10:17:13
Subject: Re: [nv-l] General Question--Map Correctness
From: "CATALINA MARTINEZ" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ AT tlc.state.tx DOT us>
To: <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:17:13 -0500
Thanks for the advice. I have asked management for someone to assist me in this from hardware and the other sister agencies we support. Hopefully it will make it easier.

Francois...please send me the script that you so graciously offered.

Thanks again..
Catalina Martinez
Systems Programmer
Texas Legislative Council
catalina.martinez AT tlc.state.tx DOT us

>>> "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste AT us.ibm DOT com> 04/24/02 04:29PM >>>
Catalina,

That is  a good question which takes everyone back to "Asset Mgmt".
Usually someone in engineering has a list of devices they think they have
installed.   You have NetView which you can do an object dump into a list.
You will need to write a script to get the machines you care about into a
list.     Then you have to reconcile the two lists.    Usually both things
happen, there are objects on  NetView that engineering does not know about
and they have things on their list that NetView does not know.

If you are given this task, hopefully you can convince engineering to also
identify a person and the two of you can reconcile the lists.   I don't
know your company size, but for even the smallest company, this is not
easy.    Like anything else, the first 80% will be easy, the last 5% will
be tough.

Also, does your company have a change control process?    Are you part of
that process?    You MUST be if you are going to stay current with hardware
being put into the field.  Without this, why reconcile in the first place.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste AT us.ibm DOT com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com