Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5.6 client update script

2013-05-02 18:35:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5.6 client update script
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 22:35:16 +0000
I'll need to see what we do for a manual install, but I'm sure that the
instructions that ship with the 6.5.6 patch kit are correct.  We did a lot of
work to package the installs so we only have to load the correct client tar
file on the client - by default you have *all* the clients in some kits.  We
did generate the 6.5.6 kits on the master as for the remote install, and
shipped those to the targets, but for basic testing we do it from the CDs and
the patch kits.

One key thing on RHEL was that for the tar command you must use the P option
(tar xfP) as otherwise it does not unpack the tar files correctly and it all
goes horribly wrong.

As I understand it you can do 3 different installs:

1) LiveUpdate - very interesting but tricky to set up when there are mixed
Windows/UNIX environments
2) update_clients script  from the Master - used to require 'shields down' i.e.
permit rhosts as root from the Master, later did allow a password to be
entered...never viable for us
3) Local install/upgrade

We always use some version of (3), either by hand or using Altiris to push the
installs. We do a huge amount of packaging to automate installs and configure
the clients & servers to perform well, so we don't often hand install...but it
definitely works locally for RHEL.

William