Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] I inherited a mess.

2010-01-12 11:57:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] I inherited a mess.
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:56:57 -0600

You can import the LTO1 media (using the LTO3 drives, obviously) into the new catalogs. Hopefully you know which tapes the data is on, otherwise you have to import each tape until you find what you need. Before you insert these tapes into the drive, make sure you write protect them, and have them put in a volume pool that NBU will not use for backups.
Importing is a 2 phase process. You have to read the headers of the backup image off the tape first, then actually read the contents of the image to populate the metadata into the catalog. It's pretty simple, and you can read the details about how to do it in the Admin Guide. You'll have to manually switch the tapes out since you don't have a robot, so you'll have to watch NBU for when it's ready for the next one.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Sagz <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

01/12/2010 10:48 AM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU

VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu]  I inherited a mess.

I have a problem.

I'm new to Netbackup.  Currently we have a 6.53 install with a Spectra Logic t950 robot with LTO-4 Drives and LTO-4 Media.  However there used to be a different server with LTO-3 drives and LTO-1-3 media and a different hostname and catalog this was decommissioned about 3 years ago.

Now I have a couple requests to retrieve data off some of the LT0-1 media and the old catalog is no where to be found.

I have an LTo-3 Drive but its standalone and won't integrate with the robot.

How would you all proceed?