Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 6.5.3 slow response for administrative tasks

2009-05-28 20:02:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 6.5.3 slow response for administrative tasks
From: Kathryn Hemness <kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 16:59:40 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings,

I'm having some performance issues with various administrative
tasks in NetBackup 6.5.3.1 on a new master server and fewer than
20 active backup policies.

My master server is a Dell PE2950 server with 16GB memory running
Redhat 4 update 7.

What I'm seeing is really poor response when adding or changing
backup policy specifications.  Sometimes to update the backup
windows via the Admin console, it takes longer than 2 minutes - even
when there is no other activity.

I've also seen significant pauses when activating/deactivating
policies via the command line.

Are there system or database parameters that can be set to
optimize response?  What worries me is that if I'm seeing this lousy
response on an unloaded master server, what will I see when it's
busy backing up a couple hundred clients?

--Kathy