Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NB 6.5.3 slow response for administrative tasks

2009-05-29 14:49:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NB 6.5.3 slow response for administrative tasks
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: Kathryn Hemness <kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 13:45:51 -0500

I have noticed some degraded performance when updating policies, when compared to the 5.1 GUI. We're talking another couple of seconds, but it is noticeable.
I have also noticed the same long delay (this could be a few minutes if there are tens of policies) in activating/deactivating the policies, but figure that's worlds better than doing it all manually.

I have not done any performance tuning, but accept the slightly increased delays. If you're seeing longer times than that, I would say there is some kind of issue, otherwise it's probably normal behavior.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Kathryn Hemness <kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

05/28/2009 06:59 PM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] NB 6.5.3 slow response for administrative tasks

Greetings,

I'm having some performance issues with various administrative
tasks in NetBackup 6.5.3.1 on a new master server and fewer than
20 active backup policies.

My master server is a Dell PE2950 server with 16GB memory running
Redhat 4 update 7.

What I'm seeing is really poor response when adding or changing
backup policy specifications.  Sometimes to update the backup
windows via the Admin console, it takes longer than 2 minutes - even
when there is no other activity.

I've also seen significant pauses when activating/deactivating
policies via the command line.

Are there system or database parameters that can be set to
optimize response?  What worries me is that if I'm seeing this lousy
response on an unloaded master server, what will I see when it's
busy backing up a couple hundred clients?

--Kathy