Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NB 6.5.3 slow response for administrative tasks

2009-05-29 05:53:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NB 6.5.3 slow response for administrative tasks
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 10:49:30 +0100
Do you have an entry:

CONNECT_OPTIONS = localhost 1 0 2

in the bp.conf on your Master Server?  See page 50/51 of the Performance
Tuning Guide.  It does refer to when the server is busy, which yours is
not.  As I read it, this causes internal connections not to be funnelled
through vnetd but to use nonreserved ports and the traditional port
numbers.

It doesn't sound hopeful but may be worth a try.  I'd also suggest that if
the server is new you try and move to 6.5.4 as soon as you can before the
environment grows too much.  If you are not on the FA programme you may
have to wait for GA but that must be very soon.

Also, absolutely vital is that all the servers are online and IP lookup
etc works.  You can configure not to require reverse lookups etc.  Any
problems like that will cause very long pauses.

William D L Brown

"Kathryn Hemness" <kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
29-May-2009 00:59

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] NB 6.5.3 slow response for administrative tasks

Greetings,

I'm having some performance issues with various administrative
tasks in NetBackup 6.5.3.1 on a new master server and fewer than
20 active backup policies.

My master server is a Dell PE2950 server with 16GB memory running
Redhat 4 update 7.

What I'm seeing is really poor response when adding or changing
backup policy specifications.  Sometimes to update the backup
windows via the Admin console, it takes longer than 2 minutes - even
when there is no other activity.

I've also seen significant pauses when activating/deactivating
policies via the command line.

Are there system or database parameters that can be set to
optimize response?  What worries me is that if I'm seeing this lousy
response on an unloaded master server, what will I see when it's
busy backing up a couple hundred clients?

--Kathy