Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Special Tapes to policies

2009-02-25 12:56:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Special Tapes to policies
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:42:26 +0000
> What I would rather have to I can still see daily, weekly and so on
> pools is those tapes drop into the scratch pool but can only be used by
> those specific policies. I tried this and wasn't able to get it to work
> as the policies would grab any scratch tapes and for business reasons
> this cant happen.
>
> Any ideas here?

Different but similar problem mentioned on Symantec forum recently.

One solution suggested there involved a bpstart_notify script.
Basically code the logic in there.

Unfortunately, it isn't passed the pool requested.  But if you can
calculate the pool needed from the policy/client/schedule information,
then this might work:

Have the script discover what pool is necessary,
  Check for available tapes in that pool
  If insufficient, move scratch tapes with necessary barcode into that pool
  if unable, exit with error
start job

It could still go south if you have a tape error that causes the pool to
empty, then it grabs a new scratch tape.  Also, if you want to have
different retentions, then the script gets very complex trying to decide
if the available tapes are useful.  If you always had unassigned tapes
in the right pool, then it should work.

Good luck!

--
Darren