Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Special Tapes to policies

2009-02-27 08:12:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Special Tapes to policies
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: "Peter Mosopa" <Peter.Mosopa AT multichoice.co DOT za>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 06:49:12 -0600

I agree with Curtis. There's not a need within NBU to separate server or OS types to different media. Usually this is dictated by management who doesn't understand the dynamics, but the data isn't going to care if it lives on the same tape as differing types. It's all bits when you get down to it. NetBackup will, by default, manage the media properly when there are different retentions, there is no need to add additional pools to do this. If you're doing that, you aren't managing your media as effectively as you could. If you're a smaller shop, you might not notice it much, but in bigger shops, this could mean a big difference in the number of tapes you burn through.

I can see reasoning for separating backups for higher protection, but putting Unix and Windows on different tapes just because they are different OSes is inefficient.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"Peter Mosopa" <Peter.Mosopa AT multichoice.co DOT za>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

02/27/2009 05:06 AM

"W. Curtis Preston" <wcplists1 AT gmail DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Special Tapes to policies

You can create different volume pools and specify a certain pool to use
for a particular backup. In our scenario, I've got barcodes that starts
with NTXXXX and UNXXXX respectively, all my windows servers I backup to
the NT pool and all my Unix/Oracle backups I use the UN pool.

Try this, it makes life very easy especially when you've got different
retention periods on your windows and unix servers respectively.