Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] eliminating volume pools

2008-12-18 16:04:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] eliminating volume pools
From: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT staples DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:37:18 -0700
Are you confusing volume pools & storage units?  I can see hardware
encryption tied to a tape drive set much more than a volume pool.

That said, if you really want to get rid of volume pools, be careful
with data that doesn't live together well.  Oracle data & oracle
archived redo should live on different tapes.  If you bounce a data tape
off the floor, theoretically you could recover the database still from
an earlier set of data & a bunch of archived redo, just keep rolling the
database forward with it.

If you destroyed data & archived redo on the same tape, you're screwed
in your ability to get your data back.

With that in mind, I guess I endorse the idea of slightly different
retentions as a way of segregating data without using volume pools.

-M