Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple retention in one pool

2007-02-26 14:32:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple retention in one pool
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:32:00 -0500
Granted, you are correct and the opposite could also be true.  My 5 year backup
could start on the last part of tape number one, fill tape number 2 and part of
number 3.  That would be terribly inefficient given that yes, I'm now offsiting
three tapes instead of two.  That has to be managed, and I do manage it.  Disk
staging helps with this, job scheduling helps as well.

Really what we need to have is a high level analyzer of what data gets written
to what medium when.  I don't see that happening anytime soon although some of
the 3rd party tools are getting there.  Long story short, I was able with
proper planning to go from media efficiency somewhere in the 60% range to 90%
which is a huge savings in tape costs.  Depending entirely on configuration,
Multiple Retentions per media could be a very good or a very bad thing and
recommendations for or against using it need to be qualified as such.  IMO
multiple volume pools is a MUCH LESS efficient thing to do than Multiple
Retentions Per Media although as I mentioned 6.5 is going to help that greatly!

-Jonathan