Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple retention in one pool

2007-02-26 07:53:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple retention in one pool
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 06:53:46 -0600
On 2/26/2007 3:32 AM, chodhetz wrote:
> I have volume pool test_pool, then I have 2 backup policies for 1
> client they are policy_test_A and policy_test_B. those backup
> policies take tapes from test_pool. But policy_test_A have retention
> 1 week and policy_test_B have retention 1 month so in same volume
> pool I have 2 different retention.

There are no issues having multiple retentions in the same pool.
However, I don't recommend having 2 different policies for the same
client with different retentions - each policy is independent and it's
quite possible, if you're not careful, to have the weekly and monthly
run on the same day.

> From that case above what is different if I set
> multiple retention and if I don't set multiple retention ? and what
> is the effect in future ?

Don't allow multiple retentions on the same tape if you can avoid it.
You may end up running out of tapes because you won't be able to re-use
the tape until the oldest image expires.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org