Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience

2006-04-27 17:17:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience
From: Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com (Matthew Stier)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:17:41 -0400
--------------080606090208020006010607

With the recording speeds of todays tape drives, you have to put some
kind of disk in front of them, to ensure you have a steady stream of
data to record.  Without it, your just going to wear out the drives,
even faster than before.  And no matter how fast tape drives get, they
will never match the throughput of disk, and thus never match them, in
reducing backup windows.

I recently (January) replaced a six drive DLT7000 library with an
Overland Storage NEO8000/REO9000 combination.  The performance
difference is dramatic. And with plenty of disk, in the second "D" in
"D2D2T" the wear on the tape drives have been drastically reduced. It
has taken 4 months to reach the 100 hours "milestone" of per-drive wear.
Something I did on a weekly basis with the DLT7000's.

I originally looked at the REO9000 with the intent to use it as a VTL,
but (NetBackup) licensing costs, and the virtual media overhead I
encountered, in that mode, I chose to simply slice it up onto 1 TB
partitions, mount them on my media server (Sun Enterprise 450 running
Solaris 8) and use them as Disk Storage Staging Units (DSSU).

VTL's do have their strengths.  Nearly a unlimited number of virtual
drives; and by using smaller virtual media; a high flexibility in the
allocation of disk amongst numerous policies.  They are nearly the only
solution in situations, where the disk staging on the media server is
not an option. Many VTL manufacturers are also PTL manufactures, and
often tightly couple their offering. Even to the point of staging data
from disk to tape, outside the scope of the backup software.

DSSU's do have their weaknesses. You are typically stuck with one-to-one
ration between DSSU's and policies. This fit my needs, but for those
with a multitude of policies to manage, I can see them having problems.

Steven L. Sesar wrote:
> We're in the process of rearchitecting our BUR infrastructure. The
> most profound change will be the addition of disk storage, as we are
> 100% tape, right now. We're considering a few different disk
> technologies, such as VTL, DataDomain NAS heads, as well as
> traditional DSU/DSSUs.
>
> I've heard anecdotal evidence that DSU/DSSU functionality in NBU 5.1
> is less-than-stellar. Would anyone care to share their overall
> experience with  disk storage?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

--------------080606090208020006010607

begin:vcard
fn:Matthew Stier
n:Stier;Matthew
org:Fujitsu Network Communications;CAE
adr:Sixth Floor;;Two Blue Hill Plaza;Pearl River;NY;10965;USA
email;internet:Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com
title:Principal Engineer
tel;work:845-731-2097
tel;fax:845-731-2011
tel;cell:845-893-0575