Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience

2006-04-27 14:30:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience
From: mambrose AT qualcomm DOT com (Ambrose, Monte)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:30:48 -0700
DSSU sizing is really important.  If the Disk runs out then you start
getting status 84's and jobs fail.  This seems reasonable except that
NBU does not free up the space for the failed jobs until the jobs are
restarted. If the job is a large one then you could get several more
backup failures from other jobs before the job retries and cleans up the
old space from the failed backup.

The cleanup process for disk images already copied to tape is not very
efficient.  I also have had to create a script that checks for disk
backup images that are successfully copied to tape so that I can clean
up the images to make room for the new backups coming in.  The script
also checks for high and low watermarks and emails/pages if the disk
space gets lower than 90%

I also agree that you want to use fast disk for this.  We have tested
with a few different levels and are now using SAN attached RAID10

I am at NBU 5.1MP4.  I am looking at moving to NBU 6.0 MP2 to take
advantage of all the new DSSU improvements and features.

Monte