Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience

2006-04-28 09:07:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience
From: shazari AT gmail DOT com (Shyam Hazari)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:07:43 -0400
------=_Part_57_20469877.1146229663448

How does the veritas licensing works for DSSU and VTL ?  As far as I know,
VTL is based on capacity. Is their a licensing requirement for DSSU as well
?

TIA

-Shyam

On 4/27/06, Matthew Stier <Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com> wrote:

> With the recording speeds of todays tape drives, you have to put some
> kind of disk in front of them, to ensure you have a steady stream of
> data to record.  Without it, your just going to wear out the drives,
> even faster than before.  And no matter how fast tape drives get, they
> will never match the throughput of disk, and thus never match them, in
> reducing backup windows.
>
> I recently (January) replaced a six drive DLT7000 library with an
> Overland Storage NEO8000/REO9000 combination.  The performance
> difference is dramatic. And with plenty of disk, in the second "D" in
> "D2D2T" the wear on the tape drives have been drastically reduced. It
> has taken 4 months to reach the 100 hours "milestone" of per-drive wear.
> Something I did on a weekly basis with the DLT7000's.
>
> I originally looked at the REO9000 with the intent to use it as a VTL,
> but (NetBackup) licensing costs, and the virtual media overhead I
> encountered, in that mode, I chose to simply slice it up onto 1 TB
> partitions, mount them on my media server (Sun Enterprise 450 running
> Solaris 8) and use them as Disk Storage Staging Units (DSSU).
>
> VTL's do have their strengths.  Nearly a unlimited number of virtual
> drives; and by using smaller virtual media; a high flexibility in the
> allocation of disk amongst numerous policies.  They are nearly the only
> solution in situations, where the disk staging on the media server is
> not an option. Many VTL manufacturers are also PTL manufactures, and
> often tightly couple their offering. Even to the point of staging data
> from disk to tape, outside the scope of the backup software.
>
> DSSU's do have their weaknesses. You are typically stuck with one-to-one
> ration between DSSU's and policies. This fit my needs, but for those
> with a multitude of policies to manage, I can see them having problems.
>
> Steven L. Sesar wrote:
> > We're in the process of rearchitecting our BUR infrastructure. The
> > most profound change will be the addition of disk storage, as we are
> > 100% tape, right now. We're considering a few different disk
> > technologies, such as VTL, DataDomain NAS heads, as well as
> > traditional DSU/DSSUs.
> >
> > I've heard anecdotal evidence that DSU/DSSU functionality in NBU 5.1
> > is less-than-stellar. Would anyone care to share their overall
> > experience with  disk storage?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Steve

------=_Part_57_20469877.1146229663448

s I know, VTL is based on capacity. Is their a licensing requirement for DS=
SU as well ?</div>
Matthew Stier</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT
com">Matth=
ew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com</a>&gt; wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">With the recording speeds of tod=
ays tape drives, you have to put some<br>kind of disk in front of them, to =
ensure you have a steady stream of
drives,<br>even faster than before.&nbsp;&nbsp;And no matter how fast tape =
drives get, they<br>will never match the throughput of disk, and thus never=
 match them, in<br>
reducing backup windows.<br><br>I recently (January) replaced a six drive D=
LT7000 library with an<br>Overland Storage NEO8000/REO9000 combination.&nbs=
p;&nbsp;The performance<br>difference is dramatic. And with plenty of disk,=
 in the second &quot;D&quot; in
uced. It<br>has taken 4 months to reach the 100 hours &quot;milestone&quot;=
 of per-drive wear.<br>Something I did on a weekly basis with the DLT7000's=
.
TL,<br>but (NetBackup) licensing costs, and the virtual media overhead I<br=
>encountered, in that mode, I chose to simply slice it up onto 1 TB<br>
partitions, mount them on my media server (Sun Enterprise 450 running<br>So=
laris 8) and use them as Disk Storage Staging Units (DSSU).<br><br>VTL's do=
 have their strengths.&nbsp;&nbsp;Nearly a unlimited number of virtual<br>d=
rives; and by using smaller virtual media; a high flexibility in the
y the only<br>solution in situations, where the disk staging on the media s=
erver is<br>not an option. Many VTL manufacturers are also PTL manufactures=
, and<br>
often tightly couple their offering. Even to the point of staging data<br>f=
rom disk to tape, outside the scope of the backup software.<br><br>DSSU's d=
o have their weaknesses. You are typically stuck with one-to-one<br>ration =
between DSSU's and policies. This fit my needs, but for those
ng our BUR infrastructure. The<br>&gt; most profound change will be the add=
ition of disk storage, as we are
t; technologies, such as VTL, DataDomain NAS heads, as well as<br>&gt; trad=
itional DSU/DSSUs.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; I've heard anecdotal evidence that DSU/D=
SSU functionality in NBU=20
5.1<br>&gt; is less-than-stellar. Would anyone care to share their overall<=
br>&gt; experience with&nbsp;&nbsp;disk storage?<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Thanks,<br=