Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience

2006-04-27 15:03:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DSSU/DSU experience
From: CJManders AT lbl DOT gov (Christopher Jay Manders)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:03:02 -0700
Interesting. We have had similar issues with NBU DSSUs.

The HPSS (www.hpss-collaboration.org/hpss) seems to be the best option,
combined with ACSLS, for our environment.

We have HPSS running with other equipment in one of our scientific
divisions (www.nersc.gov) and they just rave about its abilities.

I note it supports (server,disk and offline storage on the server-side)
Solaris and AIX. But the client-side support is there for many, many
other platforms, from Cray T3 UNICOS to Linux, where there are a variety
of tools to use (such as htar and other HSI unix-like tools).

We are thinking about a hybrid NBU/HPSS approach, allowing data to be
staged in various areas of storage, based on user-customizable rules.
Backups would be on top of the ACSLS and HPSS.

Just my $.02.

Certainly not the cheapest solution, but it does give more manageability
to at least larger SAN environments like ours.

hth

Cheers!

--Chris