Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup speed

2006-03-20 10:41:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup speed
From: austin.murphy AT gmail DOT com (Austin Murphy)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:41:39 -0500
If you have only 1 gigabit Ethernet connection to your DB server, you
won't be able to send data as fast as multiple LTO-3 drives NEED to
receive it.   Depending on the brand/model, each LTO-3 drive writes at
a MINIMUM of ~30 MBytes/Sec.  If you send data at a slower rate the
whole process gets bogged down while the drives "shoe-shine" to try to
match the slow data rate.    If the data compresses well you could
potentially send ~90MB/sec to a single drive.

I suggest limiting this backup job to a single drive and working on
optimizing the network speed and DB speed.

Multiple streams from the DB may increase the performance on that end,
but too many streams will probably cause local disk contention.

Austin