Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup speed

2006-03-20 08:45:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup speed
From: mb AT unixusa DOT com (Mickey Baker)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:45:40 -0500
Actually, 100MBytes/s "per stream" is more accurate. Modern NIC teaming
allows higher bandwidth for multiple NICs.

10G Ethernet is also available on many platforms. IMO, that will move the
limitations from the network to the machine bus and input from the data
source.

Many backups with structure (file oriented, database detail oriented) are
already limited by the input data source in most environments, so you won't
see anywhere near 100MB. In a file server windows environment, you'll be
lucky to be able to pump 50MB/s over GigE.

50MB/s is the design point I use for most GIGE situations.

Mickey