Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup speed

2006-03-22 11:59:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup speed
From: austin.murphy AT gmail DOT com (Austin Murphy)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:59:07 -0500
How many channels do you specify in your RMAN script?
If you only have one, try adding a second, third or fourth.

ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch00 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE';
ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch01 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE';

Make sure to release all your channels too!!!

RELEASE CHANNEL ch00;
RELEASE CHANNEL ch01;

Your policy must also accept multiple jobs from the client, and you
should probably multiplex these jobs onto a single tape drive.    This
means setting jobs/policy to the number of streams and MPX to the
number of streams.

Multiple streams will hit your DB (primarily the disks, maybe the
CPUs) much harder than a single stream.  This will probably have a
noticable effect on production if the system is live.

Here is an interesting RMAN tuning guide:
http://www.lc.leidenuniv.nl/awcourse/oracle/server.920/a96566/rcmtunin.htm

Also of interest:  An RMAN "incremental" is already hitting the disk a
LOT harder than it appears.  It has to read each block to check for
changes...

Austin