Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] master server crashed

2003-03-28 15:23:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] master server crashed
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:23:37 -0600
re; Hard to find or unsupported migration.

I have been saying for years, if you want to understand what it takes to
migrate/merge/manipulate NetBackup from under the covers, you need to become
intimate with its FUNCTIONAL OVERVIEW (I think its still Appendix A of the
TS guide).  If you can get a handle on this, then the rest comes naturally,
believe me.  I learned this a long time ago when I was with OV from the
engineers (developers).  So the process has always been there, and I can
understand why they call it "unsupported", given the complexity of NBU to an
unwilling soul to do his/her due diligence.

With that said...I've stuck to a practice for years that has never let me
down (we're talking since NBU v 1.6 here)

Before you plan on "migrating" the volDB, do yourself a favor and MOVE all
of the tapes to a NON-ROBOTIC state (or StandAlone in 4.5 terminology).
This leave the DB in a consistent steady STATE and will eliminate variable
issues when you bring it over.

This may just be a throw-back to my OV days ('ol timer ways), but its a
practice that I haven't changed since I have had tremendously high success
rate doing serveral migrations and mergers.

The most important thing is to have a contingency plan (your BACKUP is key).

Curtis: your giving away all of our tricks ;-)

Good luck to whoever originally asked for this...and may the FUNCTIONAL
OVERVIEW be with you

David

David A. Chapa
DataStaff, Inc.