Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Datacenter versus TSM

2003-03-13 06:42:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Datacenter versus TSM
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 05:42:19 -0600
>>My overall opinion is that TSM is a much better product than
>>NetBackup from a technical standpoint, but they made a few
>>significant design decisions which I find unacceptable from
>>the practical standpoint. The first one is that they store
>>tape data in a proprietary format, the second is that you
>>can't recover any data without having TSM running and your TSM
>>database loaded.  One consequence of this is that TSM isn't
>
>In reality, I don't see how this is much different to Netbackup.
Multiplexed tapes are useless outside Netbackup.

Mmm...no, not if this tool works as advertised, which according to several
associates it does.

http://support.ca.com/ca_common_docs/veritas_tape_reader.html

Someone posted this on this list just a few weeks ago.  unbtar handles mpx
tapes as well standard nbu tapes.  So NBU MPX tapes are useful outside of
NBU, it may not be the prettiest thing to work with, but at least there's an
option.