Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] disk stu and Vault

2002-08-15 10:46:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] disk stu and Vault
From: jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com (Jeff Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:46:32 -0700
I want to get some opinions on whether or not this is a good idea and if
I'm going about it correctly.

I am backing up to a disk stu attached to master server.  I will use
Vault to duplicate the images from disk to tape and have the disk images
expire after 48 hours.  I created a vault and profile that duplicates to
the NetBackup pool using 3 drives and making these the primary copy,
skips the catalogue backup step, and e-mails reports that don't require
media to be ejected.

Do I need the catalogue backup step?  I am assuming that the catalogue
will get backed up after each successfull scheduled backup (that's how
it's configured) and didn't want NBDB_Backups or Datastore pools to get
full; especially since these are staying in the library.

Should I change the disk expiration to 120 hours and leave it as primary
for near-term restore performance?  If so, will the duplicates
automatically be promoted when the disk images expire?

Does anyone see a problem with this setup?  Is anyone using disk stu's
with Vault currently?

Thanks.
--
Jeff Kennedy