Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpexpdate -desssignempty failing with "host unreachable" -- WHY??

2002-04-26 15:22:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpexpdate -desssignempty failing with "host unreachable" -- WHY??
From: geoffh AT us.ibm DOT com (Geoffrey Hazel)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:22:46 -0700
This used to work, and I can't figure out what might have broken it.

I do "bpexpdate -deassignempty" to clear my vault tapes that have expired
images, but lately it comes back with the following:

# bpexpdate -deassignempty -host baks001
Search for empty media that meet the following criteria:
        Host: baks001
        Media id: All

Continue? y/n (n)y
Could not update media list, host is unreachable
host is unreachable

If I look in the problem log, this is what I see:

04/26/2002 11:56:41 baks001-bk bpexpdate  Host flsw010-bk not found for at
least
                    one fragment, -deassignempty operation terminated
04/26/2002 11:56:42 baks001-bk bpexpdate  Could not update media list, host
is
                    unreachable
04/26/2002 11:57:57 baks001-bk bpexpdate  Host dbsh001-bk not found for at
least
                    one fragment, -deassignempty operation terminated
04/26/2002 11:57:57 baks001-bk bpexpdate  Could not update media list, host
is
                    unreachable

Now, host flsw010-bk cannot be pinged, but dbsh001-bk can be pinged and is
alive and well.  I've even tried selecting just one host, but to no avail,
it still errors.

I did remove flsw010-bk as a media server last week, and took it out of
vm.conf (but not bp.conf yet).

I can't even deassignempty for a particular tape!  I can, however bpexpdate
-d0, but I'm not certain the tapes are empty; I suppose I could do a script
with bpimmedia and if comes up blank, expdate -d0, but I'd really like to
get deassignemtpy to work

Any ideas will be appreciated; ones that work even more so!

Geoff Hazel