Networker

[Networker] Compression Question

2013-04-24 03:17:39
Subject: [Networker] Compression Question
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 00:10:40 -0700
On UNIX/Linux, you use the option indirectly by talking to the appropriate
device name.
  For exampe /dev/rmt/0cbn    (not sure about the absolute path) uses
compression
  while          /dev/rmt/0bn      would not.

On Windows, there is no such option by default - you usually would need to
modify the driver.
However, some of the tape vendor utilities may allow you to set this directly
or indirectly by issueing the SCSI MODE SELECT command.

BTW - for our LTO5 tapes we have capacities varying from from in our
environment we have capacities from 1.3TB to 3.3TB. This is mixed data
However, the tapes for the NW metadata (index and bootstrap backups) are
keeping 3.8 to 4.0 TB.