Networker

[Networker] Compression Question

2013-04-19 13:06:06
Subject: [Networker] Compression Question
From: gunnerjoe <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 09:59:02 -0700
Hi All,

Thank You for all your replies.

So, looking at my system trying to figure out what is actually doing the
compression I'm seeing.

Setup:
Win2k8_64 Legato 7.6.4 server
Tape Library  HP MSL2024
Windows Clients with NT Standard Directives in the client config.
===

A line out of the HP MSL2024 Tape Library documentation says the following:
Data Compression ? Yes, if the host has hardware compression turned on for the
drive.

Ok back to Legato /  Networker Management Console / Networker Administration /

The only thing I can find about compression is under Global Directives in the
Left Pane,

/Directives / NT With Compression Directive

<< / >>
        +compressasm: .

Is this the primary place to control compression of files being written to
tape? Or is this Directive only active when applied in the client config and
only compresses data being sent over the ethernet from client to server?

My apologies if this question is obvious to everyone but me.

Thanks,

Joe