Networker

Re: [Networker] Compression Question

2013-04-18 19:13:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Compression Question
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 09:07:23 +1000
Hi,

On 19/04/2013, at 9:02 AM, gunnerjoe <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I checked all the logs there are no errors at all except an occasional "ASR"
> could not back, but nothing that would explain why most tapes reach "Full" at
> 2.5 - 2.7 TB and one tape reported full at 1800 GB.
>
> Even 2.5 TB per tape is annoying as that is 500 GB short of what LTO 5 tape
> is suppose to hold (3TB).

No. No, no, no. LTO 5 is NOT supposed to hold 3TB.

An LTO 5 tape is supposed to hold 1.5TB.

Vendors and the LTO consortium quote a 2:1 compression ratio for tapes, but
this is entirely up to the data you have.

Your data explains why you're not getting 3TB onto a tape. Not all your data -
in fact, the majority of it, is clearly not compressible to a 2:1 compression
ratio. And sometimes you'll hit data which is compressible to far less a degree
by that again.

If you're planning for tape media utilisation and you haven't done a full data
review of the environment or don't have very specific types of data, you should
be planning for a 1.2:1 or 1.3:1 compression ratio -at most- for an environment.

Cheers,
Preston.