Networker

[Networker] Is it possible to have Solaris local zone as a NW SN?

2013-01-28 18:02:23
Subject: [Networker] Is it possible to have Solaris local zone as a NW SN?
From: jango <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:39:34 -0800
Hi All,

I am in  the process of building a new NW data Zone. The plan is to Integrate
NW 7.6.4.1 with Avamar so that we could have global de-dupe for all backup
clients.

I plan to have the NW Server running on a Solaris 10 (Global zone box) but for
the Storage Node I plan to use 4 solaris local zone servers. These local zone
servers will be configured as storage node and will have an AFTD device each
configured for storing the Avamar hash ID ( We plan to distribute the clients
equally to all 4 SN ) but before I start I had a couple of questions that I
would like to get clarified.

1) Somewhere in the NW 7.6 installation guide I seen to have read that we can
only configure a Dedicated Storage node on a solaris local zone server. Is this
true and is there any restrictions preventing me from having a regular SN on a
local zone server?

2) Is there any limit/best practise in the no of AFTD devices that I can create
for storing the hash ID. I plan to create 4 AFTD devices, one configured under
each SN. The idea is to share the clients backup to all the 4 SN equally,
keeping the load on the SN distributed equally.

Looking forward to some suggestions and tips...