Networker

[Networker] Is it possible to have Solaris local zone as a NW SN?

2013-01-29 01:18:49
Subject: [Networker] Is it possible to have Solaris local zone as a NW SN?
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 22:18:28 -0800
- I do not know Solaris deeper so that i know the reason. But you can find the
statement in any NW Installation Guide.
   Unfortunately, you have to read very carefully to get to the point. And i
only found it in the NW 7.6.0 Installation Guide:

   "However, NetWorker version 7.6 does support DSN installed in a Solaris 10
local zone to backup directly to a physically attached device without sending
data across
   the IP network. It manages the sharing of a device between multiple
dedicated storage nodes or storage nodes that are installed in multiple local
zones of a single
   physical host, as long as all are contained within a single NetWorker data
zone."

   I recognize this as the key point.

 - In general, the only limitation for the number of devices depends on the NW
license, your 'edition'. But 4 devices is usually not an issue for a 'Network
Edition' which is required to
   implement Storage Nodes. You can have up to 16 devices + 16 more for each SN
license.

 - You can distribute the 'media load' by setting up pools for the appropriate
clients.