Networker

Re: [Networker] Purging an old client's CFI

2012-11-08 13:13:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Purging an old client's CFI
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 12:01:17 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Purging an old client's CFI, Michael Leone...:

You have both CFI and media entries because neither the browse nor the
retention periods have passed.  To get rid of just the file index
entries,
alter just the browse time and then force index maintenance.

How do I alter the browse times of clients that don't exist anymore? Do I
need to re-create the client, set the browse and retention time, and then
"nsrim -X"? What of the savesets that have browse and retention times that
don't expire for a while yet (such as EOM savesets)? Will they be affected
by a change like this, or do I need to set re-set the browse and retention
on those savesets individually? (that's what I am trying to avoid)

Sorry I was vague in my initial response.  I was in a hurry and I figured
you would understand what I meant since you've been here a while.  :-)

As Davina elaborated, I didn't mean that you should change the browse
time for clients, I meant that you should change the browse time for
extant savesets.  As you know, you do that with the '-w' flag to nsrmm.

So, the procedure would be

- use mminfo to generate a list of the ssids that you need to purge.
  Perhaps something as simple as

        mminfo -ot -q client='your-client-here' -r ssid

  as the final query, though you may want to report more fields initially.

- once you have the ssid list, use nsrmm to alter the browse time (only,
  don't alter the retention time) for the ssids.  This only works for
  savesets that are currently browsable.  If they're recoverable it
  won't work, but that's fine because you're trying to get them to the
  state where they're recoverable, not browsable.

  For example, if you saved all the ssids to a file (one per line), you
  could (on UNIX/Linux) do something like

  for s in `cat your_file_name`
  do
    nsrmm -y -S $s -w yesterday
  done

- once none of the savesets are browseable, the next index maintenance
  procedure should purge the client file indexes.  You can either wait,
  or you can do it manually.  I generally use

        nsrim -vX

Tim
edu