Networker

[Networker] How to add NIC drivers to NW Win 2008 DR image

2012-11-09 08:41:52
Subject: [Networker] How to add NIC drivers to NW Win 2008 DR image
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 08:40:56 -0500
I had an instructive lesson last night, somewhat unfortunately. I had to
do a DR recovery of a VMware VM; OS was Win 2008 R2, and NW version 7.6.2.
I used the bootable Win2008 recovery image that I downloaded from EMC.
That went well .. except for the fact that the image only had E1000 NIC
drivers, and I was recovering the VM  from a point before we standardized
on using the virtual E1000 NIC (we standardized for other reasons,
specifically that our Kaspersky AV liked the E1000 NIC, and not the VMware
NIC). So the resulting image didn't have the NIC it had when the backup
was made; it only had the E1000 NIC that the recovery gave it. I was able
to get around the problem (the old NIC was marked as "missing hardware",
and therefore hidden; MS has a utility to remove missing and hidden
devices from Windows. You run that, and it goes away. Then you can
configure the E1000 NIC - which the DR recovery created - with the IP
addressing scheme you need).

And then the trust relationship failed, and I had to remove it from the
domain and re-join. Still not sure why that happened; the SID should have
stayed the same ...

Anyway, this (finally) got me thinking .. I need to add NIC drivers to
that NW recovery image. I have to add old VMware NICs, for situations like
this; I have to add the HP NICs we use in our physical Win2008 boxes, etc.

And I don't know how to do that, or where to get the drivers, and in a
form that the image requires.

Anyone know how to do this, and where to get NIC drivers? A link to a
HOWTO or - better yet - a step-by-step would be ideal.

Thanks
--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM