Networker

Re: [Networker] Not in media index

2010-06-28 12:49:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Not in media index
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:47:18 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Not in media index, Marcin said (at 10:35am on...:

I need your advice. I am using EMC Networker version 7.4.5 sp2 installed
on Windows Server 2003 R2. To the server I have connected two external
ScSi devices, ultrium2 and ultrium3. The problem is that after power
failure in server room (backup server has unexpected shut down) I can't
see any Volumes. If I open networker console > go to Media > Volumes >
there is no any volumes, before I had a lot. I can't find any scanner
options.  I also can't load tapes to tape drive - error "Not in media

You should probably contact EMC support.

It sounds very much like you have media database corruption.  When that
happens, you have a couple options:

- Go through the procedure for a disaster recovery on the NetWorker
  server, as documented in the Disaster Recovery Guide.  This will get
  you back to the point that your last "bootstrap" backup was done, but
  you'll still need to load the indexes for your clients.  Both steps
  should be relatively easy if you follow the instructions in the guide.

- It's possible that a combination of NetWorker commands could repair your
  media database, but there are no guarantees.  Search powerlink.emc.com
  for tech bulletins, using specific search terms like "not in media
  index".  You'll probably also want to read up on the commands "nsrck",
  "nsrim", and do a search on powerlink for "scavenge media database".

Ultimately, going through the disaster recovery procedure is your best
bet.  If you've never been through the procedure before, having an open
EMC support call will add some confidence and "hand holding".

Tim
edu