Networker

Re: [Networker] /nsr/index Cleanup?

2010-03-23 14:55:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] /nsr/index Cleanup?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:50:52 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] /nsr/index Cleanup?, Sean Smith said (at 1:31pm...:

We're running 7.5.1 on Linux x86.  We have a number of old clients
listed as directories under /nsr/index, and although we do a little
index maintenance on a nightly basis, these old client directories
aren't cleaned up (deleted) after a client is removed from the NetWorker
configuration.  Am I missing something in the manuals or does this
matter at all?

I'm not certain whether you're missing anything in the manuals -- I
wouldn't be surprised if this is not covered, but it has been a while
since I re-read the Admin Guide.

When deleting a client, NetWorker has always erred on the side of caution,
leaving behind the client index directory, in case you want to add the
client back (using the same client id!) at some point.

If you know you don't need the client indexes, just remove the directory
after the client is deleted.  Out of habit, I've stopped and restarted
NetWorker after cleaning up client index directories, but I don't think
that's even needed anymore, if it ever was.

A few recent versions of NetWorker have had a rather unfortunate bug,
where nightly processing would sometimes hang when encountering
/nsr/index/<client> directories for clients that don't exist.  I don't
know if 7.5.1 had that issue, but I know some of the 7.4.x releases did.
It appears that 7.5.2 has that particular issue fixed.

Tim
edu