Networker

Re: [Networker] client licenses for vmware virtual machines

2010-03-23 15:09:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] client licenses for vmware virtual machines
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:03:38 -0400

Yes, once you change the existing client configs to "Virtual", and probably run
a backup or two... (?)

>> And I'd still be able to recover a specific
>> file (or files) in one of the VMs, by browsing to it, as I can now?

Sorry, but I don't follow you - you may be able to use the nw integration with
vcenter, but I'm not sure. Personally, I just recover a full VCB image, bring
it up on a test network and then grab whatever files I neeed restored from
it... extra steps, but simple enough.

>> And I
>> would just have to backup all 10 ESX servers completely, rather than have
>> 85 individual clients configured and listed as part of various backup
>> jobs?

No - you do not backup the ESX hosts - you still need to have all your clients
configured in nw as you do now , except as "Virtual client"s instead = when it
uses the "Virtual client" licence, it frees up the old, normal nw license.

As an example, we had about 50 normal cals - we soon had vm sprawl, so instead
of buying more regular cals, we purchased enough VCALS to cover every ESX host
in our cluster - now, we have effectively freed up 40 or so of the "Normal NW"
licenses for physical machines, or vms' that we wish to continue to run the
"All" saveset on, and are backing up about 60-80 servers , including vms'
total...

>> Isn't VCB support ending very soon? How does that impact this scenario,
>> then?

I believe the date is July something , but we have been assured by our EMC/NW
account rep that support is forthcoming for the new storage API's in ESX, and
that it will not change our existing VCAL licensing, since that was a big
concern of ours as well.

Cheers,
Jamie