Networker

Re: [Networker] License question?

2009-10-30 09:14:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] License question?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:01:47 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
10/28/2009 12:08:05 PM:

> Greggs, Dana wrote:
> > They only way to free up a license is to delete the client
> resource that is using that license. To verify run nsrlic -v pre and
> post deletion. This is a documented fact by EMC/Networker support.
> You can grant other hosts permissions for recovery right before you
> attempt to do the recovery. Just recreate the client. Recreating or
> for that matter creating a client does take up a license until you
> successfully back the client up. So if you recreate it but don't
> attempt to back it up it won't use a license.
>
> OK, I ran that command, and, yes, I can see that now. There are a number

> of older clients that are still reported and are no longer being backed
> up, but they're also listed as NSR client resources and their index
> directories still exist, so that makes sense.
>
> My problem is that when I recreate a client that no longer exists and
> for which there is no longer a DNS entry , I receive:
>
> "Name client_name should be a valid host name"
>
> I end up having to add a temporary entry to the /etc/hosts on the server

> to re-create it under NetWorker, and then I can remove the /etc/hosts
> entry but still keep the NSR client resource listed, and at that point,
> it's only being used to give other clients permission to recover its
> older data. Nice to know that that won't use up a license, though.

I have entries in my /etc/hosts file for old clients, all using phony
(i.e., unsed) IP addresses. NW doesn't check to see if the client IP is
valid (i.e., reachable); it just wants to see that forward and reverse DNS
work. So I just use a 10.254.254.x set of addresses for old clients.