Networker

[Networker] Multipath to our new Scalar i500 Library

2009-10-26 07:10:30
Subject: [Networker] Multipath to our new Scalar i500 Library
From: Manel Rodero <manel AT FIB.UPC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:04:49 +0100
Hello,

We've recently purchased an Scalar i500 library from Quantum (including the I/O Blade module too).

Our library has 2 LTO-4 FC drives connected to our backup server through the I/O blade. Our backup server has 2 x HBA QLE2460 (1 port each one) so we can connect the 2 host output of the I/O blade to the 2 ports on the server.

But, as expected, under Windows (we're using Windows Server 2008) we see 4 drives (instead of 2) and 2 libraries (instead of 1) as them are presented by two paths.

As I'm very new to all the SAN concepts, zones, failover, etc. I would like to ask for some tips about how to set this environment for having dynamic multipath for every drive and the library.

If I change some settings in the library I finally got it presenting to the host only 2 drives + 1 library (something related to poin-to-point and failover ports). But, if I configure Legato using these settings, when we disconnect one FC and the library presents the drives using another path, Legato see the drives with another name (i.e. initially \\.\Tape0 and \\.\Tape1 and after the change as \\.\Tape2 and \\.\Tape3).

So I suppose I need to use aliases, isn't it? Or must I install multipath software in Windows Server 2008? I've installed the optional feature but I don't know how to continue with this setup.

If someone can give me some tips/info about what to read or look for, I'll be very grateful.

Thank you very much!

--

       Manel Rodero Blánquez
o o o  IT Systems Manager

       E-mail : manel AT fib.upc DOT edu
       Tel.   : +34 93 401 0847
       Web    : http://www.fib.upc.edu/

Abans  d'imprimir aquest missatge, si us plau, assegureu-vos que sigui
necessari. El medi ambient és cosa de tots.

--[ http://www.fib.upc.edu/disclaimer/ ]------------------------------

ADVERTIMENT  /  TEXT  LEGAL:  Aquest  missatge pot contenir informació
confidencial  o  legalment protegida i està exclusivament adreçat a la
persona  o entitat destinatària. Si vosté no es el destinatari final o
persona  encarregada  de  recollir-lo, no està autoritzat a llegir-lo,
retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar el seu
contingut.  Si ha rebut aquest correu electrònic per error, li preguem
que  informi  al  remitent  i elimini del seu sistema el missatge i el
material annex que pugui contenir. Gràcies per la seva col·laboració.