Networker

[Networker] Q about unused clients and licensing

2009-09-29 11:57:46
Subject: [Networker] Q about unused clients and licensing
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:53:23 -0400
So I have a number of older clients defined, servers that used to exist,
but have been retired, and don't physically exist any longer. I'm keeping
the clients defined, in case I need to do a restore from an old tape. I
know that Networker prefers to restore to a client that has the same
client id as is stored on a tape, and so if I ever do need to restore, I
should just be able to do a redirect to an existing server.

But how does this affect my licensing? At the moment, I have this old
server defined only in my "Bootstrap" group. Does this take a license?
What happens if I don't have it belong to any group - will it still take
up a license? If it isn't my bootstrap group, then if I have to do a
disaster recovery (or rebuild) of my Networker server, it won't have any
idea about this client, will it?

And if not, then if I need to do a restore after that, Networker will
create a new client entry with the "~client name" version of my client,
right? Do those use up a license, too? I thought that if I had clients
defined that were in no groups at all, that they would not use up any
licenses.

In short, what should I do with client definitions of clients that no
longer physicall exist, but that I might need to restore from an old tape?
And what are the license implications?

Thanks

--
Michael Leone