Networker

Re: [Networker] Directive question - include only certain types

2009-09-29 10:03:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Directive question - include only certain types
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:58:29 -0400
Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 09/28/2009
04:28:27 PM:

> I was asked this only recently, and I don't think NetWorker is
> capable of the finer control of "skip everything EXCEPT these file
> types" ... while in theory the wildcards in the directives (e.g.,
> skip: *.mp3) are meant to support "shell wildcard usage" (or
> something along those lines from the man page), I couldn't get any
> combination of "except/exclude" wildcards to work.

Hrm. Not encouraging ...

> I'd be interested if someone can get them to work ... otherwise I
> think it may be a docbug and a feature request.
>
> If the users aren't meant to be saving those files at all (and
> there's potential copyright issues through backing them up), perhaps
> it's best to completely exclude them from the backup anyway then do
> regular filesystem searches on the host.

Oh, I do exclude them from the backup; that's not the problem. The problem
is that the files are still there, in the source folders. But only the
user accounts have access to the folder, so I can't just trawl through
them, and see who has been hoarding music, etc. A filesystem search
doesn't find them, since I'm not using an account that has access to those
folders.

But I figured if I did one backup without those skip directives, and then
queried the saveset, I could get a list of how much music they had. (and
then I could just immediately re-cycle those tapes). I wanted to only
backup the media, because that would be a much smaller backup, than the
900G of full user files.