Networker

Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker

2008-10-08 11:23:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 11:21:33 -0400

I fully agree on wide-ranging opinions - I also agree the VCB should be
a physical server, setup as a storage node in nw.  But, thinking out
loud - there really is no way to make your VCB backups *completely*
lan-free without making the NW server the VCB node, or the vcb node
visible on the san to ESX luns, correct? (My thinking is that since our
NW server cannot see the datastores in the fabric, it must be going from
the storage node  to nw across the lan, yes?)  Hmm...  not really ideal
indeed now that I think about that... :(

Lastly, to use a vm as a VCB server, would you have to enable NPIV in
ESX, as I don't see how the VM could see the ESX datastores/luns
otherwise?

Thanks - This is a great thread - So many nice (and not so nice) ways to
skin the same cat!... ahhhh!... ;)

jamie